The 2009 Ordnance Survey Outdoor Show is just around the corner on 27th-29th March, so we thought it would be wise to provide a bit more information of what goodies are in store for those people looking to attend!
Outdoor Sports, Gear and Entertainment
Each year, the NEC outdoor show stuffs itself with everything outdoorsy, including a a huge range of outdoor equipment, sports and entertainment all following a camping and outdoors theme.
Over the weekend you’ll be able to spend time around some of the best athletes in the outdoor industry, learn about gear, techniques, and totally immerse yourself in all things outdoors…including the opportunity to be inspired by Sir Ranulph Feinnes!
Ordnance Survey Outdoor Show Features
What ever you’re outdoor sport or activity, you’ll find something of interest and fun to watch and do! The show is split into 4 areas of outdoor sports and activities – Outdoors, Water Sports, Adventure Travel and Adventure Sports. Features include:
- Scuba Diving – learn to scuba dive!
- Mountain Bike Tracks
- Climbing Walls
- Brushboarding Surfing Simulator
- Woodland Trails?!
- And even a music festival!
The Outdoor Show Speakers
Here’s the list of speakers that will be attending the Outdoors Show:
- Sir Ranulph Feinnes – the world’s greatest living explorer.
- Mark beaumont – cycled 18,000 miles around the world in 194 days and 17 hours.
- Doug Scott CNE – the first Briton to climb M0unt Everest.
- Alan Hinkes OBE – the first Briton to climb the world’s 18 highest mountains over 8000m.
- Tim Emmett – prolific, world class climber and part of the speed challenge on Top Gear.
- Leo Houlding – awesome, pro climber and BASE jumper, and also part of the speed-climbing feat with Top Gear.
- Catherine Destivelle – pro climber and one of the best in the world
- Simon Yate – from the book and film ‘Touching the Void’ where he and his friend tackeld the first ascent of the West Face of Siula Grande.
- Ian Maxwell – better than Mick Dundee; Ian Maxwell is the world’s best animal tracker.
- Chris Harvey – the best professional, surf kayaker in Britain.
The Skymasters Climbing Challenge
The unique Skymaster climbing wall is spectacular. Each year pro climbers tackle some truly colossal problems, but this year there’s a bit of a twist…
This year climbers will start at the same time and race across overhangs, rotating barrels and stalactites. They will start at the same time, and scramble across identical obstacles suspended from the ceiling to try and get to the finish first.
Skymaster 2008 Video Footage
Drew Haigh Skymasters 2008 Climbing Video
Beth Monks Skymaster 2008 Climbing Video:
Interview with Adrian Baxter by Outdoor Show
On the Outdoor Show’s website, there’s a great interview with Adrian Baxter. Here’s a snippet…
Why do you like SkyMasters?
Climbing competitions can be quite boring to watch but the good thing about SkyMasters is that the climbing is so unique. It’s very different from other competitions, which can have obvious routes.
In SkyMasters you’re climbing in completely different positions, your completely upside down for the majority of the time. You end up doing things in climbing that you’d never usually do at a competition and that you’d very rarely find outside. It’s a climbers dream come true. So if you’re into athletic climbing, and spinning round in circles, it really is the pinnacle of what you can do.
For me it’s the coolest competition by far because it is so much fun and unlike normal competitions climbers don’t have to wait around for ages for other competitors to go ahead of them.
Outdoor Show Dates and Opening Times
The dates for the Outdoor Show are 27-29th March. And the opening times are:
- Friday 27th March: 10am – 6pm
- Saturday 28th March: 9am – 6pm
- Sunday 29th March: 9am – 5pm
Ticket Prices for The NEC Ordnance Survey Outdoor Show
Advanced ticket prices:
- Adults: £13
- Concessions: £8
- Children under 5: Free
- Family Ticket (2 adults + up to 3 children 5-15 years old): £39
For group bookings you can call 0844 412 4650.